In this last episode of 2022, Abigail Hawkins joins Dale to discuss ‘What are outcomes and why do they matter?’.
Abigail takes us through the 3 types of outcomes:
- Academic outcomes – exam results – the one mostly talked about, reported on and the ones everyone seems to care most about.
- Soft outcomes – attendance, behaviour – collected and often used as an excuse for academic data. The one often moaned about.
- Life outcomes – socialising, food, washing, travel – the most valuable to our most vulnerable. The underdog, hardly mentioned, often side-lined, not valued and not reported.
We’re all expected to know about mental health, self-care, importance of sleep, mindfulness, personal finances, nutrition, time management and much more but we’re not teaching children these things at school. Listen to this impassioned discussion about outcomes.
We will be bringing you more new content in 2023 with 52 episodes covering all the latest in SEND. Wishing you a Happy New Year!
About Abigail Hawkins
Abigail runs SENDCOSolutions, an SEN consultancy and SENsible SENCO CIC, a not-for-profit networking support group. She has been a SENCO for over 25 years and has taught a multitude of subjects across all phases from 2-year-olds to adults.
She works with software companies developing supportive software for SEN and Safeguarding purposes, has developed and delivers on a teaching assistant apprenticeship programme, authored several books on SEN and exclusions and runs a support network for over 9000 SENCOs.
Until recently, she was the Chair of Governors for 3 schools in the East Midlands and she still works as a SENCO for part of her week. Abigail has a no-nonsense, practical approach to SEN issues faced by schools.
Abigail was one of the three lead voices on a series of SEN webinars delivered over the lockdowns amassing an audience of over 12000 viewers and she uses modern approaches to share SEN-related information including a successful YouTube channel.
Contact Abigail Hawkins
Website – www.sendcosolutions.co.uk www.sensiblesenco.org.uk
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Twitter – @sendcosolutions
Facebook – Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/sensiblesenco
Facebook – Page: https://www.facebook.com/SENsibleSENCO
Weekly SEN Network/CPD meetings for the SENsible SENCO community. Details available on Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/sensible-senco-33587615959
- Approach It, Map It, Manage It – https://amzn.to/3ab59Do
- The SENDCO – https://amzn.to/3yFCYGt
- School Exclusion – https://amzn.to/3by6ULj