In this week’s podcast, Dale Pickles from B Squared is joined by Fintan O’Regan to discuss the curious case of ADHD.
Fintan is a trainer and consultant for schools and school support systems including Social Services, Health, the Police and Foster carers. He supports them by providing behaviour management strategies for children and families struggling with SEND and behaviour issues. He has worked with a number of organisations including NASEN, Institute of Education, Leicester University, the UK ADHD Network and the European ADHD Alliance. And before all of this, he was a headteacher of a specialist school for students with ADHD, ASD and ODD.
There is so much disinformation on the subject of ADHD, partly because it is a relatively new term that many people still see as an excuse and not an explanation and partly because the media has portrayed the use of medication as a chemical cosh for children.
The record needs to be set straight and also to outline the positive aspects of individuals who think and act differently in a society that needs creativity and innovation.
This podcast will demystify what can be a confusing term for many and will focus on traits and not the label. We will then outline some practical suggestions for support for individuals across the spectrum
Fintan has written a series of books (see below) There are also organisations such as ADDISS and the ADHD foundation and a range of Support groups for more information including websites both in the UK and overseas
- Cooper P and O’Regan F (2001) EDUCATING children with ADHD: Routledge Falmer Press
- O’Regan F (2002) How to teach and manage children with ADHD: LDA a division of McGraw- Hill
- O’Regan F (2005) ADHD : Continuum International
- O’Regan F (2005) Surviving and Succeeding in SEN Continuum International
- O’Regan F (2006) Challenging Behaviours Teachers Pocketbooks
- O’Regan F (2006) Troubleshooting Challenging Behaviours Continuum International
- O’Regan F (2008) The Small Change 2 BIG DIFFERENCE series Hyperactive, Inattentive and Disorganised, Special Direct
- O’Regan F (2018) Successfully Managing Children ADHD Second edition: Routledge Falmer Press
Be the first to hear when new podcasts go live!
The SENDcast is powered by B Squared
We have been involved with Special Educational Needs for over 25 years, helping show the small steps of progress pupils with SEND make. B Squared has worked with thousands of schools, we understand the challenges professionals working in SEND face. We wanted a way to support these hardworking professionals – which is why we launched The SENDcast! Click the button below to find out more about how B Squared can help improve assessment for pupils with SEND in your school.
Introducing SENDcast Sessions
SENDcast Sessions are a new way for schools to access high quality CPD from SEND experts brought to you by the SENDcast. It’s the same great guests featured on our weekly podcast, delivering focused 1-hour online training sessions on a wide range of SEND topics.
SENDcast Sessions provide schools with in depth content that can be accessed forever. Build a library of online CPD that your school can continue to use in the future – choose from over 100 training sessions!