In this week’s podcast, Dale Pickles from B Squared is joined by Fintan O’Regan to discuss the curious case of ADHD.
Fintan is a trainer and consultant for schools and school support systems including, Social Services, Health, the Police and Foster carers. He supports them by providing behaviour management strategies for children and families struggling with SEND and behaviour issues. He has worked with a number of organisations including NASEN, Institute of Education, Leicester University, the UK ADHD Network and the European ADHD Alliance. And before all of this, he was a headteacher of a specialist school for students with ADHD, ASD and ODD.
There is so much disinformation on the subject of ADHD partly as it is a relatively new term that many people still see as an excuse and not an explanation and partly as the media has portrayed the use of medication as a chemical cosh for children.
The record needs to be set straight and also to outline the positive aspects of individuals who think and act differently in a society that needs creativity and innovation.
This podcast will demystify what can be a confusing term for many and will focus on traits and not the label. We will then outline some practical suggestions for support for individuals across the spectrum
Fintan has written a series of books (see below) There are also organisations such as ADDISS and the ADHD foundation and a range of Support groups for more information including websites both in the UK and overseas
- Cooper P and O’Regan F (2001) EDUCATING children with ADHD: Routledge Falmer Press
- O’Regan F (2002) How to teach and manage children with ADHD: LDA a division of McGraw- Hill
- O’Regan F (2005) ADHD : Continuum International
- O’Regan F (2005) Surviving and Succeeding in SEN Continuum International
- O’Regan F (2006) Challenging Behaviours Teachers Pocketbooks
- O’Regan F (2006) Troubleshooting Challenging Behaviours Continuum International
- O’Regan F (2008) The Small Change 2 BIG DIFFERENCE series Hyperactive, Inattentive and Disorganised, Special Direct
- O’Regan F (2018) Successfully Managing Children ADHD Second edition: Routledge Falmer Press
Contact Fintan O’Regan
Website – www.fintanoregan.com
Email – email@example.com
Twitter – @fintanoregan
For more podcast episodes from the SENDcast click below… https://sendcast.wpengine.com/sendcast-episodes/