Wait times for autism and ADHD assessments can be incredibly challenging and lengthy, often leaving parents feeling isolated, helpless, and scared. Many families describe this waiting period as a state of limbo, which can be emotionally and mentally draining.
Jodie Warren, SEND coach & consultant for parents, joins Dale today to discuss ‘how to ‘wait well’ when your child is on the diagnostic pathway for autism or ADHD’.
Discover valuable insights on:
- The importance of ‘waiting well’ and how it can positively impact the diagnostic journey.
- Strategies for ‘waiting well’ including preparation, learning, record-keeping, and being ready to advocate effectively.
- Understanding that waiting for a diagnosis does not prevent parents from meeting their child’s needs and accessing support.
- Recognising the four valuable resources parents have: time, money, energy, and headspace, and how to allocate them efficiently during the waiting period.
- The realisation that a diagnosis, from a support standpoint, may not bring significant changes.
Join us as we delve into practical tips and valuable perspectives to help parents navigate the waiting game with resilience, knowledge, and effective advocacy.
About Jodie Warren
With 20 years of experience as a specialist teacher working for schools & local authorities, Jodie now supports parents of children with additional needs to understand those needs & advocate for their child calmly, confidently & effectively without burning out.
As well as offering training to schools in how to enable effective advocacy she also supports parents to strengthen the three core pillars of advocacy so they can work with professionals collaboratively & assertively to achieve the best outcomes for their child.
Be the first to hear when new podcasts go live!
The SENDcast is powered by B Squared
We have been involved with Special Educational Needs for over 25 years, helping show the small steps of progress pupils with SEND make. B Squared has worked with thousands of schools, we understand the challenges professionals working in SEND face. We wanted a way to support these hardworking professionals – which is why we launched The SENDcast! Click the button below to find out more about how B Squared can help improve assessment for pupils with SEND in your school.
Introducing SENDcast Sessions
SENDcast Sessions are a new way for schools to access high quality CPD from SEND experts brought to you by the SENDcast. It’s the same great guests featured on our weekly podcast, delivering focused 1-hour online training sessions on a wide range of SEND topics.
SENDcast Sessions provide schools with in depth content that can be accessed forever. Build a library of online CPD that your school can continue to use in the future – choose from over 100 training sessions!