In this week’s podcast, Dale Pickles from B Squared is joined by Dr Susie Nyman to how to become a dyslexic grade riser.
Susie is the Curriculum Manager at The Sixth Form College, Farnborough. She is passionate about discovering how children learn and supporting them in ways which enable them to succeed. She has provided training to PGCE students at Kingston University, and in a number of local schools and colleges on teaching strategies. She also delivers talks on multi-sensory techniques around the world.
The podcast is a lively discussion of Susie’s approach to help students with dyslexia to learn and prepare for exams. She has developed this approach with her students at The Oratory School and The Sixth Form College, Farnborough for memory recall and improving examination technique. Many of the techniques to be discussed are available in her Multi-sensory Teaching Toolkit published by Oaka Books.
The approach starts at the beginning of the course, not when it comes to revision at the need of the course. It includes how to support students at the end of modules to summarise the module and prepare their notes for revision later. The strategies covered will support all students, not just students with dyslexia.
- Eastap, L. and Gregory, J. (Ed’s) (2018) Dyslexia Friendly Schools Good Practice Guide 2nd Edition, British Dyslexia Association – https://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/shop/books/dyslexia-friendly-schools-good-practice-guide-2nd-edition
- Nyman, S. (2020) Exam Question Task Board: Oaka Books. – https://www.oakabooks.co.uk/products/task-board-by-dr-susie-nyman
- Nyman, S. (2020) How to become a grade rise: Oaka Books. – https://www.oakabooks.co.uk/products/how-to-be-a-grade-riser-by-dr-susie-nyman-teacher-must-have
- Nyman, S. (2019) Sensory Support for Dyslexia. Clitheroe: SEN Magazine – Issue 103. – https://senmagazine.co.uk/content/specific-needs/dyslexia-spld/7886/sensory-support-for-dyslexia/
- YouTube BDA ‘Dyslexia teaching points: Multi-sensory techniques for teaching science’: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIzZzbrlK9c
- YouTube ‘Multi-sensory’ Oaka Books videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r5i4c7OLDk
Contact Dr Susie Nyman
Website – drnymanconsultancy.co.uk
Email – email@example.com
Twitter – @DrSusieNyman
For more podcast episodes from the SENDcast click below… https://www.thesendcast.com/sendcast-episodes/