This week’s podcast is looking at Developmental Language Disorder or DLD, what it is, why it is so unknown and to raise awareness.
DLD is one of the most prevalent childhood conditions, but is still little known and understood, especially in comparison to conditions such as autism, dyslexia, etc. It continues to be misinterpreted and misunderstood, despite affecting a significant number of children and young people
In this episode our guest is Wendy Lee, is a speech and language therapist with over 30 years experience in a wide range of settings.
Research tells us that around 7.6% of all children have DLD, impacting on learning, social interaction and mental health. This podcast will help in understanding and awareness of the condition, explore how it impacts on children’s wider development as well as giving some ideas on what children say work for them in the classroom.
- NAPLIC https://www.naplic.org.uk/
- Royal College of speech and language therapists https://www.rcslt.org/speech-and-language-therapy/clinical-information/developmental-language-disorder
- RADLD – awareness raising campaign https://radld.org/
- DLD and Me – https://www.dldandme.org/
- The Way We Talk – video of children with DLD talking about their lives https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onqn_7xzp2Q
For more podcast episodes from the SENDcast goto https://sendcast.wpengine.com/sendcast-episodes/