Dr Susie Nyman is a familiar face here at SENDcast HQ. She joins Dale in her latest episode, so let’s find out more about Susie….
Dr Susie Nyman, Curriculum Manager, The Sixth Form College Farnborough
Dr Nyman Consultancy
Dr Susie Nyman is passionate about discovering how children learn and supporting them in ways which enable them to succeed. She was appointed as a Biology teacher at The Sixth Form College Farnborough in 1995, and subsequently as Curriculum Manager for Health and Social Care where she has worked ever since.
Susie strives to raise students’ achievements and support them in ways which enables them to succeed. She works with her students deploying a range of innovative and Multi-sensory teaching techniques to assist their learning including her ‘Equality and Diversity Tree’ and famous puppets!
Additionally, she has provided training to PGCE students at Kingston University, and in a number of local schools and colleges on teaching strategies. Since February 2017, Susie has presented seminars on ‘Multi-sensory Techniques’ at The Learning Differences Conventions in Australia, Richmond College, The Helen Arkell Centre, Bell House, The Oratory School, The National Education Show and The Tes SEN Shows in London and Manchester.
Recently, she was filmed ‘in action’ for The British Dyslexia Association as well as Oaka Books, and the footage is available on YouTube. Subsequently, she has written a chapter about ‘Multi-sensory Teaching’ in the BDA Dyslexia Friendly Schools Good Practice Guide and ‘The Multi-sensory Teaching Toolkit’ by Oaka Books.
In recognition of over 21 years continued service at The Sixth Form College Farnborough, Susie has been nominated three times by the College for the ‘Tes FE Teacher of the Year Award’. This is an honour of which she is immensely proud.
Website – drnymanconsultancy.co.uk
Twitter – @DrSusieNyman
Recent and upcoming:
Susie has been invited to present at the following conferences nationally:
- Helen Arkell Centre
- Bell House
- Richmond College EQR
- Herefordshire SENDCO Conference (Keynote)
- Tes SEN Shows in London and Manchester
- National Education Show in Cardiff
- British Dyslexia Association Conference in London
- Dyslexia Show in Birmingham
- Susie has presented at The Learning Difference Convention in Melbourne and Sydney in Australia, and has been invited to return in 2022.
- Susie’s Multi-sensory BDA and Oaka Books videos have been used for the ‘Get into Neurodiversity’ training in Australia.
- Eastap, L. and Gregory, J. (Ed’s) (2018) Dyslexia Friendly Schools Good Practice Guide 2nd Edition, British Dyslexia Association.
- Nyman, S. (2019) The Multi-Sensory Teaching Toolkit. Chichester: Oaka Books.
- Nyman, S. (2019) Sensory Support for Dyslexia. Clitheroe: SEN Magazine – Issue 103.
- YouTube BDA ‘Dyslexia teaching points: Multi-sensory techniques for teaching science’: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIzZzbrlK9c
- YouTube ‘Multi-sensory’ Oaka Books videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r5i4c7OLDk
Susie has recorded 9 episodes of The SENDcast over the past couple of years!listen to susie's episodes
Susie’s SENDcast episodes:
Using Rosenshine’s Principles of Instruction with SEND pupils
SEND Christmas Crackers
Teaching Students from the Inside Out
Inclusive Learner Cocktails
Science Literacy Toolkit
Empowering Mental Health for students with SEND
How to Become a Dyslexic Grade Riser
Multi-sensory Teaching StrategiesListen now