In this week’s podcast, Dale Pickles from B Squared is joined by Dr Susie Nyman to discuss multi-sensory teaching strategies that you can use across different subjects and areas.
Susie is the Curriculum Manager at The Sixth Form College, Farnborough. She is passionate about discovering how children learn and supporting them in ways which enable them to succeed. She has provided training to PGCE students at Kingston University, and in a number of local schools and colleges on teaching strategies. She also delivers talks on multi-sensory techniques around the world.
Multi-sensory strategies are great for supporting pupils with dyslexia and a range of other types of SEND. Multi-sensory strategies sounds amazing, but also sound complicated, yet they are often quite simple, it might just take finding an out of the box approach. Let’s start with the simple question – What is multi-sensory teaching.
The podcast is a lively discussion of easy-to-replicate Multi-sensory Techniques that have been developed on a shoestring, inspiring students with dyslexia to become grade risers and ultimately achieve stellar results. Susie discusses innovative tried and tested Multi-Sensory Techniques she has used in the classroom setting at The Sixth Form College, Farnborough as well as in Curriculum Support at The Oratory School. These are published in the latest ‘BDA Dyslexia Friendly Schools Good Practice Guide’ and ‘The Multi-sensory Toolkit’ by Oaka books.
A multi-sensory approach deploying a wide range of activities can be valuable to many, if not all students; to those with dyslexia, it is essential. While the expertise and knowledge of the teacher are clearly very important, sometimes it is the out-of-the-box, multi-sensory ideas that can help them to make the breakthrough with individual pupils, and especially those with dyslexia.
- Eastap, L. and Gregory, J. (Ed’s) (2018) Dyslexia Friendly Schools Good Practice Guide 2nd Edition, British Dyslexia Association – https://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/shop/books/dyslexia-friendly-schools-good-practice-guide-2nd-edition
- Nyman, S. (2019) The Multi-Sensory Teaching Toolkit.: Oaka Books. – https://www.oakabooks.co.uk/products/dr-susie-nymans-multi-sensory-teaching-toollkit
- Nyman, S. (2019) Sensory Support for Dyslexia. Clitheroe: SEN Magazine – Issue 103. – https://senmagazine.co.uk/content/specific-needs/dyslexia-spld/7886/sensory-support-for-dyslexia/
- YouTube BDA ‘Dyslexia teaching points: Multi-sensory techniques for teaching science’: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIzZzbrlK9c
- YouTube ‘Multi-sensory’ Oaka Books videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r5i4c7OLDk
Contact Dr Susie Nyman
Website – drnymanconsultancy.co.uk
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Twitter – @DrSusieNyman
For more podcast episodes from the SENDcast click below… https://sendcast.wpengine.com/sendcast-episodes/