In this, our third Corona BONUS episode looking at Anxiety within the context of the current Corona pandemic, Dale Pickles, Managing Director of B Squared is joined by his guest Sarah-Jane Critchley.
Anxiety is a big topic normally, but right now with all the changes that have happened over the last few weeks to our every day lives, it is huge. In this episode we start with the question ‘What is anxiety?’, this isn’t a simple question as everyone feels anxious, it is how much it impacts on your life. Jane provides us with a great way to rate your anxiety and ways to help manage or reduce your anxiety.
Our conversation then moved on to what can be done now, what can be done at home and the importance of exercise. Some of the strategies discussed include:
- Exercise/activity – Joe Wicks, Gonoodle, Yoga for Kids, kitchen boogie
- Structuring the 4 R’s (Routine, Rhythm, Rest and Recovery)
- Meditation – Smiling mind, Headspace
- Know your sensory profile
- Self- Care sensory Shoebox
- Anxiety sucks – and blows!
- Dress for happy (and silly)
- Find the funny (and share it)
At the end of the podcast we also discussed the difficulty some children will face transitioning back to school when school starts again. We discussed how schools can support transitions to new schools, when the normal transition process cannot be followed.
Coronavirus Trusted Sources:
- Adults – BBC Daily Briefing – BBC Iplayer – https://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/bbcnews
- Children – BBC Newsround – https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/51204456
- Books Beyond words – Beating the Virus – https://booksbeyondwords.co.uk/downloads-shop/beating-the-virus
- Social Story – Carol Gray – https://carolgraysocialstories.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Pandemics-and-the-Coronavirus.pdf
Emotional Distress Detector Toolkit – Emotional Distress Detector Toolkit https://differentjoy.krtra.com/t/DMZtVGKHe1Za
Molehill Mountain App:
Smiling Mind App –
‘Thrive Inside’ – https://www.smilingmind.com.au/ – FREE
Headspace app –
https://www.headspace.com/headspace-meditation-app includes free 10 day beginner’s course.
Cards Against Anxiety – Dr Pooky Knightsmith
When My Worries Get Too Big!: A Relaxation Book for Children Who Live with Anxiety – Kari Dunn Buron
Useful Websites for Anxiety:
Young Minds – https://youngminds.org.uk/find-help/conditions/anxiety/
Spoon Theory by Christine Miserandino – https://butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/
Energy Accounting – Maja Toudal on Network Autism https://network.autism.org.uk/knowledge/insight-opinion/energy-accounting-interview-maja-toudal
Autism Education Trust (AET) Sensory Checklist
Different Joy Academy
Only £1 a month to access the Different Joy Academy – Exclusive to SENDCast listeners (minimum of 3 months)
For more podcast episodes from the SENDcast goto https://sendcast.wpengine.com/sendcast-episodes/